DOJ Charges Russian Officers of Hack Attacks
The United States Department of Justice (DOJ) has accused seven of Russia’s Main Intelligence Directorate (GRU) of have conducted global hack attacks as well as other misinformation activities. According to the DOJ all these attacks have been funded by cryptocurrencies. The indictment has been filed by a grand jury at the Western District of Pennsylvania this week.
The DOJ issued a press release, stating that all seven Russian officers, purportedly working for the GRU (which is the military intelligence agency of the Russian Foundation’s General Staff of the Armed Forces), have been charged with numerous counts of wire fraud, computer hacking, money laundering as well as identity theft.
Read the details of the story here.
Bitcoin Scaling Possible Without Hard Fork
Mark Friedenbach, the co-founder of Blockstream, presented for the first time at the Scaling Bitcoin Friday conference, Forward Blocks. This new proposal claims that changes to Bitcoin’s Blockchain – which have historically been full of contention and dissention – easier. Changes such as increasing block sizes or changing the network’s proof-of-work have usually led to hard forks in the past, the most famous one being the Bitcoin Cash hard fork.
Now, according to Friedenbach, hard forks are not needed to make changes to Bitcoin’s Blockchain. He claims that these changes can now be made with a soft fork, the way SegWit was.
Read the details of this story here.
Circle Acquires SeedInvest
According to an announcement published on October 5, the crypto finance company Circle Internet Finance Ltd. has acquired SeedInvest, the broker-dealer and equity crowdfunding platform. However, in the announcement, the specific terms of the transactions have not been closed.
Once the buyout is approved by the FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority), Circle will reportedly be able to expand SeedInvest’s portfolio to include cryptocurrency offerings, which would include fiat stablecoins and the issuance of as well as offering of tokenized securities.
Find out more details of the story here.
Total Market Cap: Oct 06
The trading volume of the crypto market fell by $0.64 billion to $11.44 billion in the last one day. The value of the market gained $2.08 billion to $220.08 billion.
Bitcoin Price Analysis: Oct 06
Bitcoin’s price is now $6598.03, rising 0.43% since yesterday. The value of this crypto asset is now $114.30 billion and it is experiencing trading volumes of $3.49 billion.
Ethereum Price Analysis: Oct 06
Ethereum’s price is now $226.31, gaining 2.08%. The altcoin’s valuation also went up to $23.18 billion. Its trading volume is $1.49 billion.
State of the Top 10 Cryptocurrencies: Oct 06
With the exception of XRP, which is down by 0.87% in trading so far today, the rest of the top cryptocurrencies are trading in the green, however, the gains are very modest. The biggest gains are being seen by Cardano, which is up 2.22%, Ethereum, which has gained 2.08% and Stellar, which is up by 1.76%.
- Bitcoin is currently trading at $6598.03, gaining 0.43%. Bitcoin’s value in the market is $114.30 billion.
- Ethereum is currently trading at $226.31%, gaining 2.08%%. Ethereum’s value in the market is $23.18 billion.
- Ripple is currently trading at $0.519081, slipping 0.87%. Ripple’s value in the market is $20.72 billion.
- Bitcoin Cash is currently trading at $519.98, gaining 1.29%. Bitcoin Cash’s value in the market is $9.04 billion.
- EOS is currently trading at $5.80, gaining 1.47%. EOS’s value in the market is $5.18 billion.
- Stellar is currently trading at $0.246281, gaining 1.76%. Stellar’s value in the market is $4.63 billion.
- Litecoin is currently trading at $58.70, gaining 1.07%. Litecoin’s value in the market is $3.43 billion.
- Tether is currently trading at $1, gaining 0.14%. Tether’s value in the market is $2.80 billion.
- Cardano is currently trading at $0.082686, gaining 2.22%. Cardano’s value in the market is $2.14 billion.
- Monero is currently trading at $114.37, gaining 0.31%. Monero’s value in the market is $1.88 billion.